Monday, July 17, 2017

weekendish

The past two days, I actually had something that almost resembled a weekend.

I was on thirty-hour call Friday morning through Saturday at noon, but had the remainder of Saturday off as my post-call day, and all of Sunday off as my regular day off, so it felt like a weekend in many ways.

Prior to this, the last time I had a weekend off was during my vacation block in April. And prior to that, my last formal weekend was in January. 

Weekends are a luxury.

On Saturday, I:
-Walked home*
-Showered
-Read a chapter of Season of the Witch**
-Napped for 2.5 hours
-Did some laundry/cleaning
-Ran 3 miles
-Caught up on some clinic notes
-Went to Lemonade with Ben for some decent-but-not-amazing poke
-Fell asleep watching Best in Show***

Post call days are weird. 

When I write out my day in a list like this, it looks like I was fairly productive, but I spent most of my day feeling pretty zonked.  In theory, my post-call day would be ideal for catching up on work emails, doing some data analysis for research, maybe even some wedding planning. In reality, I'm lucky if I can write 2 notes and run at turtlesnailsloth**** pace. 

--------------------

Sunday felt much more like a true weekend day.

I slept in (10.5 hours!), had a leisurely brunch, hiked Muir Woods with B, and had dinner at my all time favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. It was simple and relaxing and perfect.


up and up and up and up

b, v, trees.

this is not the hospital. 

I'm not usually a huge Muir Woods fan (tourists! traffic! shuttle buses! TOURISTS!), but if you hike in from the north, it can be really lovely. We parked on the Panoramic highway and took the Fern Creek Loop trail down into Muir Woods itself.  The trails closer to the visitor's center were a little crowded, but the majority of the hike was fresh, quiet, and full of giant trees. 

After our hike, we drove back via Sausalito and had dinner at Fish. 

This may actually be my favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. 

We first went here during my first trip to San Francisco, back in 2012. At the time, I was a newly-converted pescetarian, eating seafood once a month or so. I was considering converting back to strict vegetarianism, when I had the dungeness crab roll at Fish.

can you smell the butter? HEAVEN. 


It was delicious.  It's still delicious.

And on that happy, yummy note, I'm going to bed.

Happy weekend!

----------------

*The only time I ever walk home from work is when I'm post-call. I normally bike or drive to and from work (it's 2.5 miles away), but I'm a) usually too tired to even think about safely driving or biking and b) kind of enjoy the time walking to decompress.

**I like taking some sort of post-call nap, but lately I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep. I can't seem to turn my mind off. A little non-fiction reading usually helps. This particular book is about 1960s-1990s San Francisco, and is just interesting enough to be worth reading while still being boring enough to fall asleep to. Win?

***Why did this get such great reviews? This was not funny, and felt like a waste of time. Boo.

****Actual animal?


No comments:

Post a Comment