Wednesday, July 19, 2017

lately.

working
all. the. time.

I was told life would be easier post-intern year, but I happened to start second year in the ICU, so that is not the case. Q4 30-hour call is rough, and while I'm learning tons, taking care of patients, and working with great people, that's more or less all I'm doing.

running
I run about 3 miles or so every pre-call, post-call, and post-post-call day. Some post-call days, I've been way to tired/zonked, but I've generally been pretty consistent. I'm certainly not setting any speed records (I don't even track times anymore, for that matter), but I'm moving regularly, so that's good.

listening
I listen to a LOT of podcasts (perhaps this warrants a full post? I've become quite the connoisseur). They're almost all medical. I don't always have time (make time?) to catch up on journals, but I can generally listen while running/driving to clinic/biking to the hospital and stay decently up to date on the medical literature.

reading
Not as much medicine as I should. I'd like to get into some sort of regular MKSAP study schedule, but the reading I've been doing has been pretty haphazard and all over the place. Maybe once I'm out of the ICU?

I have been slowly making my way through Season of the Witch, which has been good so far, but I'd like read more overall. I love reading.

Also: apparently Michelle Au is maybe blogging again?! Her musings on medicine and motherhood are so good to read (and her archives from her residency days are fantastic). In general, I try to read more books than blogs (/other internet content), but for Michelle, I'll make an exception.

Also also: I really want to start a book club with my co-residents (since I clearly have so much free time. Ha.)

watching:
B and I have been watching BBC's The Hunt for the past several evenings. It's narrated by David Attenborough, who I'm pretty sure has the voice of God, and the filming is gorgeous. Also,  just in case you think we're a couple of supernerds that only watch documentaries (spoiler: we are) I'm also hoping to see Baby Driver on my next post-call day, so I promise we're cool.

wearing. 
ALL BIRDS.



All Birds
 is a New Zealand/SF start up that makes wool (yes, wool) sneakers.

I got these because they're MACHINE WASHABLE and supposedly comfortable (ie, hospital shoe GOLD). They are both of these things. They're also crazy soft, lightweight, and look pretty snazzy.






No comments:

Post a Comment