Wednesday, October 19, 2016

pavlovian harmony.

I've started listening to a new podcast (NPR's All Songs Considered) during my solo runs.

I enjoy music, but I'm a far cry from being a "music person." I don't actively seek out new bands or regularly go to concerts. A lot of times, I don't even listen to music while I drive. But I do enjoy music and appreciate expanding my musical horizons, so All Songs Considered has been a nice way to do just that.

Anyway.

On the most recent episode, the host talked about having a "pavlovian response" to certain songs. How just a a few opening chords or a seconds-long guitar riff can suddenly bring up joy, sadness, youth, freedom, loss. Nostalgia.

I think we all know this feeling-- there are certainly several songs that can instantly transport me right there to a memory so clear I can feel the night air and smell the humidity. In a way, it's almost magical-- with a phone and a pair of earbuds, I can change my mood and fly backwards through time.

Happy listening.


No comments:

Post a Comment