Friday, January 22, 2016

face yo fears.

I just signed up for a MICU rotation.

In March.

Of my fourth year of medical school.

This is, by the way, a rotation I do not need to graduate. I could graduate by doing derm in March. Or hematopathology. Or ethics consults. Or research. Or absolutely nothing whatsoever because I'm teaching a class this year and that essentially gives me an extra month.

So I am voluntarily, just for funsies, spending 4 weeks in the MICU, one of which is after the Match.

But let's be honest: critical care is not my strong point. I like endocrine. I like rheumatology. I like geriatrics, and palliative care, and primary care. I really, really, really like hematology/oncology, especially in the outpatient setting.

I'm lukewarm about GI, mediocre about cards, and take-it-or-leave-it about pulmonary.

I do not like the MICU.

BUT. Come July, I will be spending a lot of time in the MICU, and I need to know what to do. I need to know what to look for, what to think about, how to function, and how not to kill people.

In other words, I need to face my fears, be responsible, and spend a month in the MICU now so that I don't do something stupid (or at least, do less something stupids) later.

Who knows? Maybe I'll even like it!

In other face-yo-fears news, I am also taking up crocodile wrestling!


rio tarcoles in costa rica. (2014).


Jokes.
looking down from the bridge. 

I still hate crocodiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment