Sunday, January 17, 2016

Currently: 1.17.16

Moving:
Running: 3 miles outside + 3 miles treadmill (boo winter) + 6 miles outside.  I think I'm ready to start amping up my mileage....?
Strength: 1 hour barre (normally, love, but had a ridiculous sub this week so no dice) + a non-recorded smattering of short YouTube strength videos. I need some structure here.
Stretch: 1 hour Shakti yoga. (LOVE.)
Etc.: 5 mile hike through Percy Warner with my girls. (LOVE LOVE LOVE).

Reading:
I'm almost finished with the Elon Musk biography. I'm listening to it via audiobook, so it's pretty slow going-- I really only listen when I'm driving (not often) or running outside. I also started Toms River: A Story of Science and Salvation, by Dan Fagin. It's a Pulitzer Prize winner about a cancer epidemic in Toms River, New Jersey. I'm only a few pages in, but so far, I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to have something with a bit more substance after a couple of lighter novels.



Learning:
I've been putting together a hematology review for the first years and have noticed two things:
One: putting together powerpoints is fun! Really! I probably way overuse graphics and colors and animations, but it really has been fun to put together.
Two: there's a lot of basic science hematology (ie, step 1 stuff) that I've completely forgotten. So I've been re-learning all of that. It's strange-- I remember really not liking basic science hematology during first year. It all seemed so memorization-heavy and arbitrary. But now? Now that I've done almost 2 months of heme wards and 6 months of heme research and learned so much clinical context? I love it! It's fun and refreshing and I'm finding myself actively looking forward to learning. Crazytown.

i did not include this in my lecture. i maybe (definitely) thought about it.

Looking forward to:
MONTANA. Mountains and Medicine. Multiplied by 30 days. It's going to be so. good.

Also looking forward to:
There are a lot of really great musicals I'd love to see. I don't really have any plans to go to see any of them, but they've definitely piqued my interest.

They are:
Nervous about:
Match day. Obviously. After spending several days actively trying not to think about it, I've determined it's a completely lost cause. Everyone's talking about (capital M!) Match-- my friends, my mentors, my family, even my inbox. Instead, I'm trying (trying!) to simply be at peace with everything and know that I will end up exactly where I'm supposed to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment