Sunday, January 3, 2016

Back at it.

Vacation was good,  y'all. I spent nearly a week soaking up sand and sun with my parents and Ben in Sanibel. I didn't answer emails, I never wore makeup, and I focused my energy on spending time outside with people I love.

twilight beach stroll. 
Some highlights:
  • Cycling. We biked nearly every day including one spectacular 36 mile ride to Captiva (and back). I also went on one lovely 5 mile run and more beach walks than I can count.
in captiva
  • Games. Shuffleboard, Ping Pong, board games, card games...we're a pretty game-loving family, especially on vacation.
  • Animals. I've been to Sanibel several times before, but don't really remember it as being filled with animals. I now stand corrected. We saw two alligators (!) and a family of ospreys (!!) as well as a whole host of sea birds in the Ding Darling wildlife preserve. It was fantastic.
osprey
  • Books. I (finally) finished My Own Country, and while I really did enjoy it, it's not exactly a beach read. I followed it with Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, a fun and unique mystery novel that was perfectly light but never frivolous. I devoured it in 48 hours. 
go-read reading spot. also, not hot dogs.
  • Food. Since I was on an island, this definitely includes fresh seafood and fruit, but really, I'm talking about the key lime pie. I love key lime pie and the four of us split a piece after nearly every dinner. During one of our last dinners,  Ben actually asked me if we could have this instead of wedding cake. Um, YES.
  • Family. Best for last, right? Seriously, though. They're the best.

And now I'm back to reality, gearing up to drive a billion (aka 8) hours tomorrow for my last (last!) residency interview. As I said in my previous post, the entire process has been surprisingly fun and interesting, but I'm more than ready to put the time and expense of interview travel behind me.


No comments:

Post a Comment